Can I file a claim on behalf of an injured child if I am not the parent?

Because a child under the age of 18 has a limited voice in court and cannot represent him or herself at trial, it is up to an adult to provide representation and protection during an injury claim.

If you suspect a child was wrongfully injured and their parents are not filing a claim or the parents are the ones abusing the child, you may appeal to the court to act as a temporary representative during the court proceedings known as a “guardian ad litem”.

How is a Guardian Ad Litem Appointed?

A guardian ad litem is a single-incident guardian appointed by the court for the purposes of an individual case. This guardianship does not imply permanent permissions in the child’s life following the conclusion of the trial.

The guardian ad litem can be any party acting in the interest of the child, usually another relative or close family friend. Massachusetts Child Social Services may also be appointed as guardian if the case involves allegations of child abuse by multiple parents or family members.

Contacting a Massachusetts Child Injury Attorney

If you feel the need to file an injury claim on behalf of another person’s child, you will have a much greater chance of success when you retain a Massachusetts child injury attorney. For experienced help in Massachusetts child injury cases, contact the Massachusetts Child Injury Attorneys at Phillips & Garcia to schedule your FREE legal consultation today – 1-877-892-5620.